Sunday, November 19, 2006

What a Great Way to Spend a Saturday!


Yesterday was our FCC Tampa Bay luncheon. The Guest Speaker was from Passport Health talking about all the immunizations we may or may not need prior to travel.

Saturday evening we went to a house warming party at John and Nancy Swanson's house (amazing new house may I add). We met them through the Tampa FCC group. It was so much fun because there were 4 other couples including Drew and I who are adopting from China that we also already knew from the luncheons (Eric and Cindy, Jason and Susan, and Greg and Amy). They are all adopting through the agency Commonwealth. It was great to hang out and talk in a casual way about our upcoming journey. The amazing thing is that we all know we will be matched with the perfect child for us, we never have worries about that part. We also never talked about the trials and tribulations we may experience upon meeting our new daughter, we just all keep talking about how stressed out we are about a 12-15 hour plane ride or how we don't want to be on a tour bus and realize we may have eaten the wrong thing at breakfast (that's really what we're all worried about right?)

These are the experiences along the way that I think will make this wait time so much easier. Staying connected with others throughout the process makes this HUGE decision seen so real. I have talked with people who backed away from luncheons in their area, didn't belong to Yahoo Groups or other support groups, didn't really have any connections with others adopting and they have said it is so easy to start feeling disconnected and so far away. I don't want this to happen so for me, the plan is to stay as involved as I possibly can.

Best Wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,
We met at the CCAI reunion - love your blog and your so right, it's important to stay connected to others who are traveling this journey. As much as family and friends understand, unless your actually going through it, it's hard to relate to DTC, LID, wait time, CCAA, etc., another language to most :) Nice to have met you....
Daniella
LID 10/27/06
www.kowalskijourney.blogspot.com

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate thinking about the shots. I have a very good friend who lost a child right after her 18 month shot. I am not a hippie dippy type but there is something that makes my skin crawl about it.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicole and Drew-

I absolutely love this site you created and thanks so much for sharing it with us! Greg and I also had a wonderful time at John and Nancy's in November and it was wonderful getting to know you, Drew, and the others at the party! The part about the "bus and eating the wrong kind of food" made me smile! We will all look back after all our trips to China and we will wonder why we ever worried so much, I'm sure!

Hugs to you both-

Greg and Amy :)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home